• Berea community Thanksgiving service, 7 p.m., Berea United Methodist Church. The Rev. Rachel Small Stokes, associate pastor of Union Church will speak.
• EKU Orchestra concert, 8 p.m., EKU Center for the Arts.
• Home Meals Delivery board meeting, noon, EKU Baptist Campus Ministry on University Drive.
• Fibro Coffee Chat, 11 a.m., Hasting’s in Richmond Centre. For details, call Sandy, 859-228-0163.
• Richmond community Thanksgiving service, noon, White Oak Pond Church, Barnes Mill Road at Goggins Lane (behind Meijer). Lunch served at 12:30 p.m.
• Paint Lick Community Arts Center 4 p.m. – 6 p.m.
• One-time-workshop. Instructor: Joseph Cross, Berea College theatre and music major. Joseph will teach students the art of paper folding, Origami. Two ready-to-hang Christmas tree ornaments will be made — a crane and a dove. Materials are provided. The fee is $10. Call the center at 859-925-2741, to enroll.
• Kirksville community Thanksgiving service, 6:30 p.m., Kirksville Community Center. Area churches will join for the potluck of appetizers and desserts, festive singing, and fellowship. The 100th anniversary of Kirksville High School will be commemorated.
• Thanksgiving dinner, noon, Rosedale Baptist Church, 411 Westover Ave., Richmond. Call 623-1771 for details about rides to Rosedale or for meal delivery for those age 60 and older.
• Thursday free-lunch ministry of St. Paul AME Church, 437 Francis St., Richmond, will serve Thanksgiving dinner from noon to 2:30 p.m.
• Contra Dance with caller Frank Buschelmann and band Berea Cast-Offs 8-11 p.m. (Beginner lesson 7:30-8 p.m.)
• Russell Acton Folk Center, 212 Jefferson St., Berea, KY. $7.00 adults; $4.00 students and seniors. Call 985-5501 or visit http://www.folkcircle.org /contra/ or BereaContra Dance@gmail.com for details.
• Hot Women and Health: Information for pre-menopausal women and beyond. Healthy Skin is Beautiful Skin, 11:45 a.m., Madison County Cooperative Extension Center. Lunch will be provided to everyone who registers by November 21, call 623-4072 to register.
• EKU Faculty Brass Quintet, 8 p.m., Gifford Theatre of the Campbell Building.
• Michael Bolton concert, 8 p.m., EKU Center for the Arts. For tickets, visit www.ekucenter.com or call 622-7469.
• Medicare 2013 Part C (health) and Part D (drug) plan comparisons and enrollment at Richmond Senior Citizens Center, 1215 W. Main St., 2 to 4 p.m. Individuals should bring a printed list of their medications, including dosage.
• Richmond Human Rights Commission, 6 p.m., City Hall, 239 W. Main St.
• EKU Trombone Ensemble concert, 6 p.m., Gifford Theatre of the Campbell Building.
• Madison Winds concert, 8 p.m., Gifford Theatre of the EKU Campbell Building.
- Local News
BREAKING NEWS: Madison County Sheriff Jerry Combs dead of heart attack
County Coroner Jimmy Cornelison told various media outlets Monday night that the Madison County sheriff, 61-year-old Jerry Combs, had died of a heart attack.
Learning under the sun
Students in Stephen Rupard’s fourth-grade class said they can remember when the wetland full of green frogs, dragonfly larvae and tadpoles was just a dip in the gently rolling hills behind their school.
Dry cleaner burglary suspect is charged in two other cases
A man charged Friday with breaking into Jack’s Cleaners on Water Street by smashing a window with a tire iron has been charged with two other burglaries in which a similar method was used to gain entry.
Richmond burglary reports for May 14-18
Register Staff Report
The following burglaries, reported May 14-18, are being investigated by Richmond police
A resident of Wesley Court reported a Wilson bow with arrows and an unknown brand shotgun had been stolen from her residence sometime in the previous two weeks. Estimated loss: $800.
A resident of Foxhaven Drive repo
Laurence named Register publisher
Ann Laurence has been named publisher of the Richmond Register, succeeding Nick Lewis, who held the post for the previous eight and a half years.
Keith Blevins, Community Newspaper Holdings Inc. chief operating officer announced Laurence’s appointment Monday.
Woman sues Super 7 over staircase collapse
One of the women injured in a staircase collapse last month at a local motel is suing the business in Madison Circuit Court.
Veterans’ benefits workshop June 20 at Morning Pointe
Veterans and/or their spouses or widows are invited to attend a special veterans’ benefits workshop Thursday, June 20, at 6:30 p.m. at Morning Pointe Senior Care Community, 1400 Gibson Bay Drive in Richmond
Union City Day
Rainy weather didn’t dampen the spirit of those who turned out for Union City Day on Saturday.
State champs get their rings at YMCA breakfast
Two months may have passed, but Madison County continues to celebrate the state basketball championship won by the Madison Central boys team.
Team members were presented championship rings while their cheerleaders received pendants Saturday morning during a breakfast at the Telford YMCA attended by nearly 300.
Sand artist, pastry chef wow audience at cake expo
Joe Castillo dazzled audiences while performing at Eastern Kentucky University’s Center for the Arts Saturday during the Grace with Taste Cake Expo.
Castillo, along with pastry chef Stella Parks, were the entertainment acts at the expo early in the afternoon.
- More Local News Headlines
- BREAKING NEWS: Madison County Sheriff Jerry Combs dead of heart attack