MADISON COUNTY —
• Berea Arts Council arts day camps for children, 9 a.m.-1:30 p.m., Berea College Knapp Hall. For details, or to register, call 985-9317.
• Berea Festival of Learnshops. For details, call 986-2540 or visit www.berea.com
• Kit Carson Elementary SBDM Council, 6 p.m., in school’s library.
• Opening reception for Pat Banks and Richard “Dick” Deane art exhibit, 6 p.m., Richmond Area Arts Center, 399 W. Water St., Richmond.
• Richmond City Commission, 6 p.m., City Hall, 239 W. Main St. Work session normally scheduled for 4:30 p.m. has been cancelled.
• Madison County School Board, 6 p.m., Madison Central High School auditorium (gymnasium entrance).
• Hwy. 330 Band, classic rock, 7 p.m., free outdoor concert in Irvine-McDowell Park.
• Richmond Utilities Board, 8:30 a.m., 300 Hallie Irvine St.
• Bereans for Fairness, 6:30 p.m., community room of Madison County Public Library, 319 Chestnut St., Berea.
• Madison County Health Department clinics in Richmond and Berea closed today for annual staff training.
• Madison County Fair. For details, visit www.themadisoncountyfair.com
• The Madison County Volunteer Organizations Active in Disasters meeting, 6 p.m., Madison County Extension Office, 230 Duncannon Lane, room 1 New Building.
• Third Wheel, southern rock and country band, 7 p.m. free outdoor concert at Richmond Centre fountain.
• “Please Don’t Litter, free musical performance,” 7 p.m., Russel Acton Folk Center.
• Dog Days of Summer Doggie Wash, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., Irvine McDowell Park, Lancaster Ave., $15 small dogs, $20 large dogs, includes wash, rub, nail trim, ear cleaning, bandanna and pet photo. Proceeds benefiting the Humane Society, A.L.L. of Madison County.
• Contra Dance, 8-11 p.m., Russell Acton Folk Center, 212 Jefferson St., Berea; $7 for adults and $4 for students and seniors. Beginner lesson from 7:30-8 p.m. For details, call 985-5501.
• Madison County Health Department Medical Reserve Corps meeting, 5 to 6:30 p.m., Morning Pointe Assisted Living Community, 1400 Gibson Bay Drive. Dinner will be served. MRC members should RSVP via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Carryin' On, country covers and originals, 7 p.m., free outdoor concert in Irvine-McDowell Park.
MADISON COUNTY —
- Local News
State champs get their rings at YMCA breakfast
Two months may have passed, but Madison County continues to celebrate the state basketball championship won by the Madison Central boys team.
Team members were presented championship rings while their cheerleaders received pendants Saturday morning during a breakfast at the Telford YMCA attended by nearly 300.
Sand artist, pastry chef wow audience at cake expo
Joe Castillo dazzled audiences while performing at Eastern Kentucky University’s Center for the Arts Saturday during the Grace with Taste Cake Expo.
Castillo, along with pastry chef Stella Parks, were the entertainment acts at the expo early in the afternoon.
District urges students to ‘PowerMyLearning’ through the summer
Sixteen little penguins need help jumping from iceberg to iceberg as a hungry killer whale swims menacingly in the chilly water below.
The fate of the poor little penguins lies in the hands of a third-grade student, who must quickly find the answer to a math equation to lead the penguins to safety.
Vietnam vets mark Armed Forces Day
In the 1960s and ‘70s, when many campuses around the country were the scene of anti-war riots and demonstrations, Eastern Kentucky University was naming buildings and streets for its alumni who had died fighting for their country.
GREAT bridges gap between cops, preteens
Bridging the gap between public misconceptions about police officers and the reality of what’s behind the uniform can be a daunting task. But, a growing program at Madison County middle schools is helping break down those barriers.
Exit 95 rebuild delayed until 2017
Originally scheduled for 2014, the reconstruction of Exit 95 on Interstate 75 won’t take place until 2017, Madison Judge/Executive Kent Clark told a joint meeting of the Richmond and Berea chambers of commerce Friday.
The state Transportation Cabinet is delaying the project, Clark said, until a decision is made on the proposed highway that would run from Exit 95 to Nicholasville.
Toyota bornlearning Academy graduates parents
Seven graduates received their certificates Thursday night, but not with the customary rendition of “Pomp and Circumstance.”
It was a celebration of the parents’ six-month journey with the Toyota bornlearning Academy at Berea Community School.
The academy works with parents and caregivers of children from prenatal to 5 years old on ways to turn everyday moments into learning opportunities.
Caudill Middle School student showcase
Members of the Caudil Middle School Jazz Band entertain the crowd during the school's end of year student showcase Thursday.
Man arrested Friday after early morning break-in
Richmond police made an arrest Friday in connection with an early morning break-in at Jack’s Cleaners on West Water Street.
Scott Hobbs, 42, of McKee, was charged with first-degree burglary, according to Richmond Police Chief Larry Brock
At 3:25 a.m., a witness reported seeing a man enter and exit the cleaners through a broken window and drive away, Brock stated in a news release.
Grand jury indicts inmates in jail assault
Two inmates at the Madison County Detention Center were indicted Wednesday on charges related to the beating of another prisoner.
A Madison grand jury indicted 28-year-old Justin Morgan Howell and 26-year-old Lucas Wayne Shanks on charges of second-degree assault, second-degree escape and second-degree persistent felony offenders.
- More Local News Headlines
- State champs get their rings at YMCA breakfast