Special to the Register
PAINT LICK —
PAINT LICK – From pottery, writing and print-making to gourd painting and dulcimer play, the Paint Lick Community Arts Center is offering a diverse array of classes that begin in the next week and a half.
For more details or to enroll, call the center at 925-2741.
• The Healing Power of Writing – Thursday, Jan. 10, 2-3:30 p.m., with instructor Debbonnaire Kovacs. For six sessions in January and February, students will learn journaling, writing poems, prayers, memories and letters that heal and more. Students will bring writing materials. Fee is $60.
• Hand-Building with Clay – Thursday, Jan. 10, 6:30–9:30 p.m., with instructor Buddy Dobbins, EKU fine arts graduate and potter.
During three session in January, students will learn the technique of making a “coil pot” and finish with a glazed and fired ceramic piece. Materials and firing provided. Fee is $50.
• Print-making Techniques Workshop – Thursday, Jan. 10, 9:30-11:30 a.m., with instructor Alisa Vogt. Using potatoes, erasers, other objects and paint, Alisa will show students how to create repeated designs for note and greeting cards and other graphic pieces. Materials will be provided. Fee is $10.
• Children’s Art Class – Saturday, Jan. 12, 12:30–1:30 p.m., with instructor Hal Davis. A retired elementary art teacher, Hal will be sharing lots of ideas of how to use a variety of materials to create works of art. This class is for grade-school age students. Materials provided. Fee for all Saturdays in January and February, $25.
• Quilting – Saturday, Jan. 12, 2-5 p.m., with instructor Diane Palmerton. A 10-year quilter from Winchester, Diane will be giving very specific instructions in the basics of beginning quilting. Six Saturdays in January and February. Fee for all six sessions is $85.
• Gourd Painting Workshop – Tuesday, Jan. 15, 9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., or Thursday, Jan. 17, 6:30–9:30 p.m., with instructor Donna Bosher. Having painted on gourds for 18 years, Donna will teach basic gourd techniques to make a small birdhouse. Materials provided. Fee is $12.
• Paper-making Workshop – Thursday, Jan. 17, 9:30-11:30 a.m., with instructor Alisa Vogt. Using paper scraps, water and a blender, students will create their own hand-made papers for use in bookmaking, letter writing, etc. Bring paper scraps. All other materials provided. Fee is $10
• An Evening with Sam Gleaves and Friends – Friday, Jan. 18, 7 p.m. Dessert pitch-in and musical performance. Sam Gleaves and Friends are Berea College students and young pickers/singers committed to continuing the musical traditions of the mountains. They breath new life into the old songs and bring forth some of their own.
For more about Sam, visit his website, SamGleaves.com.
Because of limited seating, call the center, 925-2741, to reserve a seat.
• Dulcimer Workshop – Saturday, Jan. 19, noon-2 p.m., with instructor Merwyn Jackson. He will teach a one-time workshop on the basics of dulcimer playing. Bring own dulcimer. No fee.